Saturday, March 20, 2010

KU is Outta There!




I don't follow sports that much, but I do try to cheer on my teams when I can. So, the Royals, the Chiefs, and KU, pretty much. And here was KU, in March Madness, in a tournament where they were highly favored and expected to go all the way--I was so excited! These are my guys (when I'm paying attention).

But they crashed! Against Northern Iowa! I mean, the Panthers have a good record, obviously, or they wouldn't be in the tourney, but STILL! And it was SO CLOSE! So, now Northern Iowa will go on to the Sweet Sixteen, and KU won't.

Here's the article from Rivals.com.


Panthers knock off No. 1 Kansas 69-67


By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Basketball Writer 28 minutes ago
Preview | Box Score | Recap



OKLAHOMA CITY (AP)—Ali Farokhmanesh hit another big 3-pointer with 34 seconds left and Northern Iowa pulled off the biggest upset in the NCAA tournament, beating top overall seed Kansas 69-67 in the second round on Saturday.

Northern Iowa (30-4) won the tempo tug-of-war, grounding the high-flying Jayhawks with in-their-jersey defense, then withstood a furious rally to become the first team to beat a No. 1 seed in the second round since UAB and Alabama did it to Kentucky and Stanford in 2004.

The ninth-seeded Panthers led early and made just enough plays late to pull off the biggest win in their history.

Kansas (33-3) trailed nearly the entire game, finally pulling close in the closing minutes behind its fullcourt pressure. The Jayhawks never made it all the way back, though, bowing out early in what was supposed to be another title run.

2 comments:

http://www.ehow.com/members/stevemar2-articles.html said...

I am stunned Kansas lost! This totally destroyed my brackets (and millions of others). Oh well, at least this has been a thrilling, unpredictable tourney so far!

Katherine C. Teel said...

It has been kind of exciting, hasn't it? But since I tend to pick my teams based on emotional attachment, I was disappointed. Still, I have somehow managed to go on...