Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veterans' Day


I am working on a post about the elections, but every time I go to try to find sources for my thoughts, my computer decides that opening two browser windows is too much work. So, that's coming. I apologize to my loved ones who are veterans for not posting in a more timely manner yesterday; you were in my thoughts and prayers and certainly those of my children as well.

My dear friend Michelle sent this post, with her experience yesterday and the simple prayer that was part of it. I offer her thoughts to you in gratitude for all our veterans have done for us, and for all those who pay the price of freedom so that we don't have to.

Michelle writes:

Those of you who know me well will recall that I have served 15 years in the Navy, between active duty and Reserves. I took my children to the commemoration ceremony in town today, and in the moment of silence this prayer came into my heart. I'd like to share it with you.

Heavenly Father, bless my brothers and sisters who have died in the service of our nation. Bless and comfort their familes.

Lord, guard and protect my brothers and sisters who are serving right now. Bring them home safely.

Father, send comfort and healing to my brothers and sisters who have been wounded in service of our nation, whether in body or in soul. Hold them close, and help them become whole again.

In Jesus's name I ask these blessings. Amen.


Michelle
(Lieutenant Commander, U. S. Navy Reserves)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, simple prayer that says it all. I'm glad she (and you!) shared it with us :)

Katherine C. Teel said...

I'm grateful she let me post it. I didn't think I would be able to improve upon it!

Michelle said...

*still blushing*

The flag image is a terrific enhancement to my humble words. Thanks for both your gratitude and your appreciation of my heartfelt prayer!

(by the way, the word verification on the blog just now is an Old English word meaning "our" - coincidence?)