Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!


We've had some tragedies in our community in recent weeks. People to whom we have connections have suffered terrible losses. One family lost everything in a fire, including their 9-year-old son, and one family lost a 36-year-old daughter to cancer just two days after she gave birth to her second son. These tragedies were fast, brutal, and unexpected, and left their survivors reeling from shock and grief.

Our family has felt some of that shock and grief, and done whatever we could to help the families involved. But it has reinforced something I've always tried to keep in mind...to be thankful for every day and every person. It could all end or drastically change in a heartbeat.

Our lives are filled with imperfect people who do stupid things--sometimes to us. Our lives are filled with frustrating situations--we don't have enough money, we don't like our jobs, we're sick to death of our house, our car, our clothes, our town, or the people we have to see day in and day out. I know that, I know life isn't perfect, and sometimes it isn't what we imagined or hoped it would be when we were dreaming our dreams of the future.

Obviously, we have both the right and the responsibility to change the things we can change, to make our lives as satisfying and generous as they can be. But today is the perfect day to stop dwelling on the things we wish were different, just for a day. Today is the day to look around and tell ourselves, and tell God, and tell each other, even if nothing ever changes, even if this is as good as it gets, I love you, and I am so grateful to have you in my life. I am so grateful to have a home, a car, a job (or three), dear friends, and family who is always there for me. I would be shocked and grieved if any of these people or things were taken from me, though somtimes it takes a tragedy (or two) to remind me how grateful I am.

I love y'all. I tell God thank you every day for letting me be your mommy, your wife, your daughter, your sister, your relative, your teacher, your pastor, your friend. I'll try to show my thankfulness by being better at all those things, and I'll try to change what needs to be changed. But not today. Today I'm just thankful, grateful from the bottom of my heart. I just wanted you to know.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Thank you for this reminder!

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful, Kat. Thank you for being you.