Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The 20-Year Difference


Here's Kat in 1989, age 18:


"Like, oh, maGawd, I would totally never drive a minivan! Those are for, like, suburban soccer moms! No way!"


"Gah, cheerleaders are such bimbos, and they're brainless and a waste of space. What do they even do besides wear too much makeup and show their underwear at football games?"


Here's Kat in 2009, age 38:


"Oh, my God! We got a new minivan! It's gorgeous! I've wanted one for so long! Now I can drive all those kids to soccer practice! This is the best thing ever!"


"Actually, cheerleading is a serious sport that combines athleticism, performace skill and community leadership. And cheerleaders have to be smart--most schools require that they maintain at least a B average to stay on the squad...What's that? You want me to coach a middle school cheerleading squad? Sure, I'd love to do that! I'm so proud that my daughter is a cheerleader!"


Yes, as the song says, time changes everything!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those of us who remember you "way back when," this is a particularly satisfying development.

Darling Husband

Katherine C. Teel said...

You're only saying that because you dated a cheerleader for, like, 20 minutes.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't twenty minutes, it was a few DAYS. And yes, she was a cheerleader, and yes she was cute, and it would have last longer if she hadn't thought I had become fanboy obsessive about her, WHICH--I have to say--I WASN'T. I simply thought she would appreciate several phone calls a day and the occasional poem.

Darling Husband