Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ed McMahon, 1923-2009


Ed McMahon, one of the ringing voices from my childhood, died early this morning in Los Angeles. If you're interested in knowing more, I blogged about him here.


A couple of fun facts: Ed was Catholic and went to Catholic University, and he was a Marine fighter pilot in WWII and Korea. He first worked with Johnny Carson on a 50's game show called "Do You Trust Your Wife?"


I remember being at my grandparents' house, and if I heard Ed's voice doing his famous, "Heeeeeeeere's Johnny!" then I knew I was up too late. After that it was the Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes commercials and Star Search.


He led a pretty interesting life (I wrote more about it at that other blog), but he'd been doing badly the past few years, including suffering from bone cancer and a broken neck. I'm glad he's free from the pain now.


Rest in peace, Ed.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ed was one of a kind. For years, I made it a point to stay up to watch The Tonight Show. Ed and Johnny Carson were an unbeatable team, and now that Ed's gone, it seems like a lot of ties to the past are now severed. I feel like there is a big void now, and I am saddened by it. I liked Jay Leno, too, but there was never a show like the one Ed and Johnny had. Young people today will never know what they missed.

I agree, Kathy. RIP, Ed. And God bless.

Katherine C. Teel said...

You know, I always used to wonder just what Ed was famous FOR--I mean, how do you get to be a sidekick? It was really interesting to learn more about his life for my blog post. He really had an interesting career in television--not to mention his years of honorable military service. You're right, nothing could really replace the old Tonight Show, and Ed's famous intro.