Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year's Resolutions


I've wanted to write about my New Year's resolutions since, well, the new year, but to tell the truth, they aren't all that clearly defined in my head. A few things that we've begun well and now just have to continue well are:

+ eating well (convenient but healthy snacks, especially for the kids)

+ exercising (even if it's cold and even in the afternoon)

+ writing every day on my book (even if it's just a few words on any given day)

+ to make one of the major repairs on our house (windows? carpet? downstairs bathroom?)

These are pretty important ones. Matt and I both have diabetes in our families, and while we have very healthy meals (thanks to Matt), we've allowed too many sugary snacks. Strangely, I have been a sugar-nazi about breakfast cereals (nothing over 12 grams of sugar), but then let them snack on store-bought cookies. Also, I really hate exercising, but it has to be done. I think we're supposed to be walking the puppies, but we haven't been doing a great job of that...so this one benefits everyone.

And, of course, I have a tendency to start a story, then drop it under the stress of everything else I have to do with my lfe. I don't want to do that anymore, so I am determined to write every day, even if it's a tiny bit. I went strong on this for 6 days, then last night got side-tracked by a mountain of laundry...but I think the trick is to keep going, so that's what I plan to do.

Other things I want from 2009 are more like dreams or wishes than resolutions, because I don't have any plans for how to get them. I want:

+ to lose 40 pounds (this really shouldn't be a wish, but I don't have a plan in place for how to do it yet)

+ to replace the income from one of my jobs with income from writing (I have some possibilities on the horizon, but again, nothing that is well-thought-through enough to be called a resolution)

So, there you are. Nothing huge, just progressing with life in the right direction, geting stuff done that needs to be done. Anyone else want to share their resolutions?

No comments: